Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:52 PM

XP keeps crashing

I recently got a used computer and i freshly reinstalled xp. I noticed that sometimes it would just stop opening programs. I would click on a program and it would show the hour glass and then not do anything. The task manager would not even come up. I give it time but it would never respond, so i just manually restart it. Now when i go on any internet browser it works for a while then it stops opening links and again wont open problems. I thought it may be a virus but how can it be if windows was freshly installed with all the old files erased. Thanks.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:35 AM

Check your memory by using one stick at a time if you have more than one to see if one is bad. Or run memtest86 from a boot and see what it finds. If you have the option in your bios, enable SMART DRIVE which will watch your hard drives and warn you of any pending failure. Both hard drive failures and memory problems can often be remedied by cleaning or reseating connectors. Not all failures are because the device is bad, contacts can get corroded or oxidized and cause inssues too.