Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:46 PM

Computer hanging while playing games

Hi guys,

I recently got a new computer, and have been playing some games (more specifically Starcraft 2). Well anyway, sometimes when I play, the computer will just hang, and subsequently restart. I really have no idea what the problem is, because the graphics card is at about 50 degrees, which I believe is not hot enough to cause the PC to restart.

I am using a GTX460, with AMD 6 core and 4GB of DDR3 1333 RAM.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help. Really hope it's not hardware failure, as I hate the hassle of getting stuff replaced

Edit : If there is any additional information that you guys need, please let me know. Thanks

Edit 2 : Full list of specs below:-

AMD Phenom II X6
MSI 870A-G54 AM3
MSI N460GTX
WD 500GB HDD
CoolerMaster GX550W PSU
Win 7 OS

I have 3 120mm fans running. One front intake, one side intake, and one rear out.

I do not believe that overheating is the problem. But does that mean it's hardware failure?

Last edited by Glabb; July 31st, 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
You first want to start up Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc in Run... or a Command Prompt)
and have a look at the Windows Logs on the left side. You'll be looking specifically for the red exclamation marked logs
that show up on the right side when a left side category is clicked once on.

Best way to deal with the Event Viewer is to right-click each Windows Logs category directly under Windows Logs
and select Clear Log... then wait for the freeze and after rebooting go directly to Event Viewer and check the red errors.

You can two-click the errors and copy/paste them here.