Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM

CMOS battery replaced, computer boots but screen suddenly goes blank in 5 mins! HELP!

Hi,

My desktop's CMOS battery went dead (usual signs- time was constantly incorrect, etc), then about two weeks later the computer wouldn't boot up. The computer was making really loud beeps with nothing showing up on the monitor.

I replaced the CMOS battery, and the computer ran smoothly and booted up correctly, all the way past the log-in on Windows XP when the screen went blank (with the monitor indicating it wasn't receiving a signal). Subsequent reboots result in the same thing.

I reset the time on the CMOS to the current time, and restored (or I think I restored) the BIOS settings, but to no avail.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Hi AZguy2436 welcome to Cyber Tech Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZguy2436 View Post
The computer was making really loud beeps
Those "beeps" are pointing to the error. Beeps are long or short and they are numbered.
So you'll have to count the long and short beeps and give us your motherboard make and model
so we can find out more.