Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Cannot view certain webpages...

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me here. My computer is running brilliantly, I'm using windows xp. In general pages on the internet load quickly, but I'm having problems accessing certain pages - for example - I can access ebay but I can't view listings. I just get the page cannot be displayed message. And when on the next website I can look at the catalogue pages but when I click an item, I can't view it.

I'm not that great on computers but my dad is quite good with them and he's had a look but can't figure out what's wrong. I've spoken to people on other sites and nobody can suggest anything that works that I haven't already tried.

I'm using internet explorer just now but have the exact same problem with firefox.

Any ideas before I tear my hair out? Any help would be appreciated..
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM

As your problem is common to both IE and Firefox, I suggest that you check your security software settings, since many of them are common to both browsers.

Some security programs (firewall, anti-virus, etc.) can be set to block specific operations needed by some web pages, such as running Java or Java Script, for instance. Consequently, in this example, if Java was blocked, many sites like eBay, Best Buy, etc., would not function properly because they require the use of Java.

Hope this helps.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

According to me there is some issue with settings of the internet explorer , so follow these steps to resolve your issue.
1 Open the internet exploer
2 Go to the Tools > internet options > Advance
3 And finally click on the reset .
This will reset all the settings of the internt explorer .
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM

Firstly, thank you both for your advice. Have looked into both of these already though. Virus Protection and firewall aren't blocking Java or anything like that, and I had tried restoring the default internet settings before - but that hasn't worked either. I've even wiped the computer and completely re-installed windows. Nothing works.