Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Home Basic x64 or Home Premium x64

Forget for a minute how good or bad Vista is. It's what I'm going with when I build my new system. I have both Vista Home Basic x64 and Vista Home Premium x64 on disk. I have been running Home Basic x64 on a slightly underpowered machine for about six months. So, among other things and because it's been underpowered, I'm no judge to say whether or not it's stable. So I was just wondering if anyone has heard if Premium is any more or less stable than Home Basic?
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
i would ask you exactly what does the "underpowered" machine has....

list your spec
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Specs

Sorry, I should have clarified that more. First of all though, I was never able to get any confirmation from MSI whether Vista x64 would would work on it or not. Some of their techs said it would, some didn't. So I have that always hanging over me.

As far as the specs...the motherboard is an MSI K8MM3-VH, the processor is an AMD Athlon x64 2.2 GHz, 2 GB's DDR Kingston RAM, EVGA NVidia 256 MB AGP video card, Creative Audigy sound card, two 80 GB Seagate IDE hard drives, 1 LG DVD Burner, 1 LG DVD-ROM, Thermaltake 430 watt PSU.

So when I say "a little underpowered" I was mostly thinking about the RAM. From everything I have heard, it would run much better with at least 4 GB's of RAM
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
That machine is not under powered. You have plenty of power to run vista. However if you are having problems with it, I'd recomend going with Windows 7 on that machine. You'd really be happy that you did. It stable and is much much faster. (Yeah, I know its still in beta)

I dont think you'd be able to tell any difference in the way Basic and Premium works. There is more features in Premium. Thus, no performance gain at all.