Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM

Can't open files from inside Windows Explorer

Hello All,

For a couple of weeks now, I'm having a problem with Windows Explorer. I can't open Word, Excel or HTML files from inside Windows Explorer. All file-type associations are correctly set.

When I double click a .doc file or .xls file, for example, from inside Windows Explorer, the hour glass first appears but then nothing happens, and the pointer returns.

To open a Word file, for example, I must first launch Word, then open the .doc file from inside word. Same for Excel. Launch Excel first, then open the .xls file.

Can anyone advise me on this issue?

Thank you.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
See if the instructions on this page work for Word files.

If you use the method in the numbered list, you may need to adjust the path to winword.exe if its location differs from the one in the example.

If that fixes Word files, do the same for Excel, substituting excel.exe for winword.exe.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:48 AM

Thank you, Miz!

That's a really good, detailed tip. I went carefully through all the numbered steps, but everything is already correctly set as per each step.

Here's some additional information about this problem. Was trying to keep it brief originally.

From inside Windows Explorer, I can't open Word, Excel, or HTML files.

Occasionally, when I first restart my system, I may at first be able to open these file types from inside Windows Explorer. After a few minutes, however, Windows Explorer stops working to open these file types (it will open PowerPoint, PDFs, and text files, however), and I have to open the individual program first.

Another wrinkle: if I am willing to wait long enough, the file may eventually open. That is, inside Windows Explorer, I double-click a Word doc, the hour glass appears, then goes away, then the pointer returns, and it appears that nothing is happening. If I leave the system alone for a full 5-7 minutes, very gradually Word will slowly, slowly open, and then, finally the file will open.

So it's not really an association issue. It's something else that is gumming up the process.

If I try to go through the Start button, as Start > Documents > , my whole system just hangs. The only reliable route is to open the given program first, then use File > Open.

Hope this adds more useful information to help resolve this issue.

Thanks.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I don't have the answer but providing more information about your setup may help someone else pinpoint the trouble.

Is the computer networked? What antivirus software do you have installed? How much RAM does the computer have? Have you defragged it recently? Did you install any software or hardware right before the problem started?

If you can think of anything else that might be useful in troubleshooting the problem, feel free to include it.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM

Good questions. Computer isn't networked. Running ZoneAlarm Pro antivirus and CounterSpy v3. Keep both up to date. Disabling them makes no difference. My system is clean. Have 1.5G of RAM. Yes, I did defrag memory recently, and my problem started right after that. Can you recommend a memory defrag program? Maybe I need to do that again. Sometimes just clicking on Start > Settings > Control Panel will take several minutes to open Control Panel. Thanks.

Last edited by heyrandy; December 2nd, 2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Do you have a windows xp retail cd? If so do a repair install. You should keep everything except windows updates.. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:19 AM

Thank you, w1che. Afraid I don't have an XP retail cd. XP Pro came preloaded on this system. I have a Restore Wizard DVD that my system asked me to create originally, but it has no files indicating XP. Would it work to run the repair install from a borrowed CD, since I am running a legit, registered copy of XP? Any other workaround? Thanks.

Last edited by heyrandy; December 3rd, 2008 at 03:02 AM.