Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 20th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Duplicating hard drive with GHOST or Drive Image ...

I've been trying to use GHOST and/or Drive Image to duplicate my hard drive to serve as a backup. The duplication process works fine but the new drive does not complete the boot process into Windows XP Professional - it goes into a loop indicating that Windows cannot complete the license authentication process.

How do I work around this problem?
Old June 21st, 2003, 07:12 PM

xp can only be restored on a computer with basically the same hardware configuration if you are talking about a 9x system i dont know because it should work dont think there is a workaround for xp they take a inventory of your hardware when you activate it and any major change will keep it from working
>cody
Old June 21st, 2003, 09:34 PM

The hardware configuration is exactly the same because I am trying to boot up the same computer using the duplicate drive.

So, there must be something else at work here that stops the computer from booting up.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 05:50 AM

i dont know what you are saying it should work the only thing i would do if i was haveing thet problem go over all the instructions real careful and see if you can see something you missed
>cody
Old June 22nd, 2003, 03:08 PM

I've done that several times already - both as a drive copy as well as a partition copy. Always with the same result - Windows cannot verify the license error.
Old June 25th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I've done that several times already - both as a drive copy as well as a partition copy.
I believe that your problem revolves around the word copy.

You need the following series of commands:
Local > Partition > To Image
...and then use that image to replace/clone the installation. If the destination partition is close to the same size as the original, you should have no problems. If it's a great deal smaller, then you'll have a problem with NTFS with both DI & Ghost.
Old July 2nd, 2003, 03:52 AM

Just today I tried to load Xp onto a spare drive while I check out Redhat. I do not want to take a chance losing everything from my XP Drive. I used the Western Digital software to clone my drive. I got the error that XP could not confirm license info and froze loading my desk top. I could go no further. I finally installed XP from the CD and now the new drive is Permanently labeled as DRIVE E. argggggghhhhh I can boot to it though. I guess that XP will not allow you to clone or image from another drive......

How do I get the pc to recognize this as C: as it is the only drive in the pc???

Tom
Old July 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM

There must be be somewhere you are not following instructions i dont do hdd to hdd
But as i type this i am on a 3gig hdd that i just use to try different things out on
what i done is after i read your post i took the image cd from my 80 gig hdd and put it on this 3gig and i had no problem in fact i am on it now
to make it simpler you may have to burn an image to a cd then put it on your hdd
as far as your drive change it is looking at it as a logical drive instead of a primary drive i have some lititure on that but now i am on this 3gig and i dont have my d drive where all my files are saved so at this point all i can tell you is you did not set your drives up rite
>cody