Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Windows Update, Windows Defender, and browser Problems. Help!

Hey, I really hope someone here can help me. I have Vista Home Premium 32bit, for anyone that needs that information.

For the last few weeks now, something's been up with my computer and I don't get it. My Windows Update no longer works. Anytime it tries to check for updates it gets Error Code: 80244019 and says it can't check for updates. The same thing happens in Windows Defender.

Then when it comes to my browsers, I have an number of problems. I have IE8, the latest Firefox (3, I think?), Safari, and Opera. No matter what one I'm on, I can't get to a lot of sites (and I noticed that for some reason a majority of computer help forums all come up can't be displayed, too. >.< ). Two examples of other sites are pollcode.com and anything at all hosted by fan-sites.org. Everyone I know can get onto those sites fine, but I can't, and I always get a can't be displayed message.

I also cannot download anything from the Microsoft website. I can get to the download pages fine, but then after clicking download, it goes can't be displayed. I can download things from other places (which is how I had to end up getting Vista SP1 since no links from Microsoft would work and my Windows Update wouldn't work) but I can't download from them.

Also, I'm having some weird pop up problem that started out of nowhere and it's getting pretty annoying. Pretty much anytime I go to a site, the little bar comes down that says it blocked a pop up, and then as soon as I click ANYTHING on the site (even the background!) a pop up comes up. It does this for any and EVERY site. I've run my AVG scanner, and my SpyHunter and CCleaner, but they never find anything wrong, so I don't know what's up.

Please, if anyone can help at all with any of it, I will be majorly in your debt. Thank you so much!
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi sf1061. We cant help with IE8 issues. It's still in beta and the beta phase of any software release is to test for bugs, crashes, errors, inconsistencies and any other problems. Microsoft need your feedback and your support options are here.

Did you have these problems before you installed IE8? If so, I'll look at some logs. Perhaps they will help.

Download OldTimer's OTViewIt from here to your desktop,and doubleclick on OTViewIt.exe to start the scan.

When the display opens place a check next to:

Scan All Users

Then click the Run Scan button to start the scan. Once that completes a textbox will open. Copy and paste the contents here for review please. The log can also be found on your desktop as OTViewIt.Txt. It will be a reasonably large log so you may have to divide the log into sections and make several posts to post it. Extras.txt will also be generated. Please post that log as well.

Note - do not press any other buttons or make any other changes when running the scan.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM

I've had IE8 for months now, and these problems are just recent, so it has nothing to do with it. Plus, it does it on all of my browsers, as I mentioned, and not just IE8. So I know that at least that isn't the problem. :/

Hmm... I just tried to download that several times and it won't work. The geekstogo.com site doesn't seem to work for me in general, either. I just get the can't be displayed message.
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:30 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok. We can try another utility. Download Random's System Information Tool (RSIT) from here and save it to your desktop.

Doubleclick on RSIT.exe to run it. Your computer will be scanned and once the scan has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both (log.txt will be maximized and info.txt will be minimized) in this topic. You can also find the logs in the C:\rsit folder. The logs will be reasonably large so you may have to divide them into sections and make several posts to post them.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:30 PM

Hi

Reading your blog this is the exact same problem I am having except for the pop-up

I will be gratefull if you can please keep me informed of any solutions

It is a real pain

Cheers boorish