Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Cleaning your Laptop.

I know this may sound trivial compared to other problems on this site but...

What are the best products to clean up a laptop ready to sell?

I have a Samsung with one of those glossy black mirror finishes - not very practical for portable use. Mine is now all smudgey & scratched after constant use travelling. What product will bring back that clean, glossy finish? Also, what is the best way to clean the screen? Then there is all the nooks & crannies between the keys....!

Any tips much appreciated. Cheers.
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
For the monitor, I usually use a soft cleaning cloth (made for that purpose or one for cleaning glasses), dampened lightly w/ water - just use gentle wiping.

Keyboard - soft brush & can of compressed air - be gentle w/ both, but usually all that is needed (unless you have dried food/liquids?).

The computer's cover will be a problem - of course, depends on 'what' the surface is made of & how it might be finished - you might want to provide some more information (and even upload a pic?).

Of course, a more important issue if this computer is getting into someone else's hands, is the 'cleanup' of your hard drive - make sure all important data, esp. personal information & records are removed; there have been a number of threads on this issue, if you want to do a search. Good luck!
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Hi thanks for reply & tips. I would upload pic but it seems Im not allowed. It says u may not load attachment in my options. Oh well.

Its just a black glossy mirrored finished plastic lid. They seem to be common even though they scratch & smudge very easily.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:18 AM

Well, I'm an amateur woodworker and removing scratches from plastic is not easy - first, I'd be very careful about using compounds/solutions that might 'spill' into the computer; some automotive polishes can be very effective in removing these defects - you might want to take the computer to an 'automotive shop' and just ask their adivce; otherwise, I'd contact the computer maker for some suggestions - good luck!
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Yes I have been looking at car-care products actually! I figured that the glossy finish was similar to that of a car so the products used to cover mild scratches on a car should suit my laptop lid. I am concerned about using a product that dulls or ruins the glossy finish which is why Ive posted here in case anyone had specific products they'd used themselves. The scratches are not deep but the numerous amount just make it look a tad shabby. The products QUIXX & XERAPOL look quite interesting for scratch removal.
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Well, I actually have some automotive 'rubbing compounds' used to 'finish' the finish, i.e. give it a more gloss, mirror-like effect - can't give you any specific advice from my own experience on a laptop cover, but hopefully others may?

Again, a local auto body shop or even a local computer repair place might be of assistance - also, please reply back if you find a satisfactory solution; I'm sure others may have the same question - good luck, again!
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM

There are a few products at wal-mart which remove scratches from plastic and from Acrylic. I would give them both a try! Make sure to test them in a small place though. And numerous stores have special electronic cleaning wipes for screens.