Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Exclamation Help Me Please

My computer is being a ******* . So here's the story:

One morning I woke up, made some coffee and sat down at my desk for some all day game playing action, and internet surfing. I press the power button and...

The screen comes up with a bunch of lines and bars!

It then goes through normal boot, I still can't see anything, but I can tell because I hear the normal noises such as the log in sound for vista and other system sounds. And if I click on the screen where my user icon is, then the bars change position and colors and I can here the sounds again. So, in other words, I have full use of my computer but I can't see anything.

If I unplug my computer for a while (usually 2-3 days), then it starts normally and I can see! But if I reboot it, it sometimes will start normal and sometimes will go back to the bars. When I can see on the screen, after the first time I ran everything from my virus program, to check disk, to my diagnostics, ex. motherboard, video card, and memory. After not finding any problems, I packed up my baby and drover it over to Best Buy. They [Geek Squad] then wanted to charge over 80 bucks to run the mandatory diagnostics that I had already run, before they did anything to it. So I just told them to make me some recovery disks [another $40], and went on my way.

So please can anyone help me? I need this computer, it is my work computer [mostly]. And It wasn't cheap and isn't old.

Here's the specs:

Hp IQ770
19-inch touchscreen
AMD Turion 64 X2 dual core TL-52 processor
2GB SDRAM
320GB drive
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
Heres a link to a nice description and picture of it.

Thanks in advance!
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Sounds like a screen or video card problem. If there are obvious cables between the screen and computer try ensuring that they are secure. If it is possible to connect an external monitor to the thing, do so (if you don't have a monitor you could always borrow one from a friend, any normal plug and play monitor should do). This will help to diagnose whether the monitor is to blame.
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:30 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Boot up and immediately get into SETUP (screen will tell you-hopefully you see it) usually a "F" key or the "del" key.

Once in SETUP find where you can set to "System Defaults". Then save and exit. (may not exactly say System Defaults, but will have Defaults in it).

If it boots up OK then go to Device Manager:

Right Click on "My Computer" then to "Properties" then to Device Manager (right Pane)

Click on the + sign next to Graphic Adapters, is there any yellow/red marks next to it?

Also you can boot into SAFE MODE (tapping F8 1st screen then select Safe Mode)

Uninstall/reinstall the touchscreen software.
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:11 AM

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Welcome to CTH

Boot up and immediately get into SETUP (screen will tell you-hopefully you see it) usually a "F" key or the "del" key.

Once in SETUP find where you can set to "System Defaults". Then save and exit. (may not exactly say System Defaults, but will have Defaults in it).

If it boots up OK then go to Device Manager:

Right Click on "My Computer" then to "Properties" then to Device Manager (right Pane)

Click on the + sign next to Graphic Adapters, is there any yellow/red marks next to it?

Also you can boot into SAFE MODE (tapping F8 1st screen then select Safe Mode)

Uninstall/reinstall the touchscreen software.

First of all thank you and this looks like a great forum. But I have booted in safe mode thousands of times and it still doesn't work. And device manger does not show any problems. Neither does Nvidia's built in diagnostics.
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:45 AM

I just tried pressing the F and del key on startup and I got a Screen!! Thanks