Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
User Account Lockout

I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 that is running Vista Business. When we tried to install SP1 it had a few...issues. Basically, we couldn't get it to boot to anything that was remotely Vista including the Vista boot disc. I found documentation online that allowed me to use a Linux boot disc to remove the corrupted file that was preventing me from booting to the Vista disc and proceeded to run repairs from the disc until the system now boots.

Now, however, I can't get it to log in properly. This system has a domain user account but network login won't work due to: "An attempt was made to logon, but the network logon service was not started." When I attempt to logon locally at first it would think for a while then it would load me as a TEMP user, warning me that all changes I make would be lost. Now if I attempt to logon it seems to login but then the screen flashes, says "Logging off" and I'm back to the login page. I found the following documentation on another site for how to repair this issue -

> 1. Restart your PC to release the locks on your profile.
> 2. Log on with another administrative account
> 3. Delete C:\Users\%username%
> 4. Delete C:\Users\TEMP
> 5. Delete the registry key matching your SID from
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList". Check the value "ProfileImagePath" to make
> sure you pick your own profile.
> 6. Restart once again and then you're done!

- however, besides the domain account on here, the local user account is the ONLY administrative account and the only account period available on this machine.

Thoughts anyone?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Wolf. Microsoft are offering free unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 until March 18, 2009. For more information and to take advantage of this offer, go to http://support.microsoft.com/common/...4&gprid=500921 and follow the prompts.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM

hi Marie. Yeah, I saw that on another forum also but when I tried to talk to microsoft via their support chat they told me "It's not an SP1 issue, it has to be your network. Thank you and have a nice day!" Of course they totally skipped over the fact that this started BECAUSE SP1 crashed on restart and it's not just domain accounts but local admin accounts that have been affected.

Maybe I managed to get a lazy fruitcake on the first two tries and should try again.

EDIT:
Tried their help again. After 75 minutes of repeating myself and giving completely unnecessary information they tried to tell me once again that it's a domain issue. There's got to be another fix out there. At this point I may just take the info I managed to recover from the system when it was logging in as TEMP and just reload it. Rather disappointing result after finally getting the thing to boot.

Last edited by Wolf; July 23rd, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

Wolf do you still need help? There is one thing that we can try.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM

I ended up just reloading the thing after all. I've been sitting on it for over a month now. But I'm still willing to hear any ideas you have just in case it happens again so I have something else to try.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

I'd rather leave it for now. It may not have worked anyway.
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM

Your perrogative. Thanks for the reply in any case.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:21 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome Wolf.