Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Why won't Windows Media Player play some MP3 files?

I've been having this trouble for a while now. For the vast majority (95%) of my MP3 files, I have never had any problems. However, a few simply refuse to be played by Windows Media Player. When I try I get this error message:

Quote:
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.
This would suggest that there is a problem with the file or that the player isn't up to date. Well, I have several audio players on my computer - Nero, Quicktime and Media Player Classic (not sure where this came from) - and they all play them perfectly fine.

So why not Windows Media Player? I have tried downloading the latest shiny version and it now says I am running the most recent version and no updates are available when I try and update it. I've tried downloading extra codec packs. I even found program (GSpot Codec Information Appliance) that looks at the codecs needed to play the file and it can't tell the difference between the ones that don't play and the ones that do. I've even tried using the Microsoft help which gives me the following reasons why it will not play:
  • The file type is not supported by the Player. *MP3 is supported*
  • The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.
  • Your sound card or sound controller is not configured properly. Try changing the audio output device associated with the Player. *tried it*
  • The file type is supported, but you are trying to play it in a way that is not supported by the Player. *no*
  • You are trying to play one part of a multipart file. Use a newsreader or other program to combine the files, and then try again.

So - as you can hopefully see - I have used up every potential solution that I can come up with. Does anyone have any more?

Last edited by myga; July 13th, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I still suspect some codecs problem.
Get CodecInstaller: http://www.jockersoft.com/english/codecinstaller.php
It'll tell you, if any codecs are missing.