Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Cool Anti-virus suggestion? (Moved from Cyber Safety Forum)

OK, this isn't a problem perse, but I am having a heck of a time figuring out a good anti virus to put on my son's computer. I purchased Zone Alarm Suite and installed in a month or so ago, and frankly I have been quite disappointed. While it sounded to have all the features I was hoping for (anti virus, firewall, and parental controls) it has been a disappointment. My two biggest problems with it are it slows the computer down ALOT (son games so he hates that) and the parental controls do not even do a mediocre job of filtering out adult sites. (and at age 15, the boy has to test the limits!)

What suggestions might anyone have? I have read reviews and have yet to find one product that doesnt have a boatload of users complaining about it including AVG, Norton, and McAfee. I am happy to purchase if there is a good product (someone suggested NOD32) but I hate to go through all this again and again. I'm thinking maybe separate product for the parental filtering and for the anti virus might be best, and seem to see better reviews for the parental filtering products than the anti virus.

Any help??

Thanks!!!
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hello acsdeb,

I would like to suggest you post on such a broad topic in the CTH Internet/Browsers forum, where you can get more Internet-specific use ideas from the folks that assist there. Also the Applications forum, for ideas on perhaps using products like Depp Freeze, to just undo any damage a teen will inevitably do with a computer.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Hiacsdeb, what i would suggest you is to use AVAST (anti-virus software) since it is really easy on resource hogging, and does not slow down your computer. This will help you out for sure