Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM

my computer froze so i turned off and now vista wont boot ...help...

well.. i was copying files from a cd to hardrive and downloading files from the internet.. then all of a suddon it froze.. couldent do anything.. tryed ctr+alt+del to get the task mamanger up... but no luck i went away to see if it would settle. 1 hour later still no luck so i held in the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off (it was the only thing i could do).. now when i turn it on it gets to the boot menu on vista ultimate (32-bit) u know the little bar .. and just hangs... dosent move.. i tryed to boot in command promps,last knowen good config.. but it all sticks when trying to load the drivers... so i have my install disc for vista.. but it wont load the disc :S... i have tryed going into the bios and changed the boot prority to cd first.... no luck... and then i set ti back to defults and left it normal but it still hangs at the boot screen with the disc in it.. not sure what to do now... not bothered about looseing files .. HELP PLZ!

BTW i am useing a asus pk5c mobo..

maxtor 250gb sata hdd
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Can you boot the system into safe mode? (Press F8 at start up. If you can try that, and then do a system restore.
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM

oh i never knew about f8... well i select.. the cd drive there.. but it still asks for start.. safe mode,command,normally,LKG then it hangs at the boot screen... should i select safe mode when it asks me yes..?
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Yes
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM

i try to boot on safemode.., when it loads the drivers.. it sticks at driver

\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys\

i am pressing f8.. botting from cd.. then it asks for safemode,command prompt,LGC start windows normally i am clicking safemode then.. the it sticks on drivers
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM

sometimes safe mode takes a while to load, but if it still hasn't loaded, try restoring that file, as it may have become corrupt, to do this, you have 2 options:

1. boot from the CD and restore it
2. find a known good computer with windows vista, and find the file thats giving you troubles, it would be c:\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys\ copy that file from a good computer, and put the hard drive of the broken computer into a working computer, and navigate to the appropriate folder and and put the copy of crcdisk.sys in to the hard drive, and then put the hard drive back into the broken machine, and boot up windows.
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM

If you are using the on-board LAN/Network card to connect to the Internet, boot get into BIOS (SETUP), and disable the on-board LAN, save and exit, it may now boot up. As with Asus boards there is sometimes a conflict with the on-board LAN that causes a hang. If this is the case, then post back results.
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM

nop i dont use a lan card.. and well i have tryed everything so i am just going to buy a new hdd only thing ican do really ty for ur help tho
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Well I would not give up that easy...

You said you have the VISTA cd/dvd..

1. Open the case up and reset your CMOS, do this by either taking the battery out for a couple of minutes (have power cord unplugged), or using the jumper on the motherboard.

2. Now plug back in and boot immediately get into SETUP

3. Set the boot priority to CD/DVD as the first device

4. Save and exit, then put the cd in.

If you can get it to boot from the VISTA then you do this.

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:12 AM

that's a good idea, you should definitely try that!!