Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Flash and Flash Plugins have red x's through them in Control Panel

In my contol panel my flash and plug in have these red x's through them. I have to download flash in Internet Exployer and cannot get any picture's in my windows mail stationary. I do not know what is wrong and have uninstalled them and downloaded them about 6 times with the same results. Does any one know what this is all about and if it is why I cannot see my stationary in Windows Mail? Thankyou.
cecilia11 P.S. I am still fairly new to computers.
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Cecilia11. Try this. Close IE and open Computer. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and look for the Macromed folder. Open it and then open the Flash Folder. Find FlashUtil9b and rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". When the UAC prompt appears, select Continue and follow the prompts. Reboot afterwards. Do you still see red x's next to the installation?

Regarding your Stationery. I take it you are downloading additional stationery from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/stationerydl.mspx? Please check all the instructions and make sure that you have followed them.

Quote:
How to download and install

Select an item from the drop-down list above and click Go.

A File Download dialog box opens.

On the File Download dialog box, click Run.

Click Yes when asked whether you would like to install a new stationery.

Read the license agreement. If you agree to the terms, click Yes to begin the download process.

Click OK to close the Microsoft Windows Mail Stationary dialog box.

Instructions for use:

To use the stationery you've downloaded, open Microsoft Windows Mail. On the Message menu, point to New Message Using, and the click the stationery you want to use. If the stationery you want is not listed, click Select Stationery, and then in the Stationery box, select the one you want to use.

When you install stationery, the image files (*.gif or *.jpg) and the *.htm file are stored in your Stationery folder (by default this is <drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery). Stationery is only available if you use HTML as your email format.

To apply stationery backgrounds along with complimentary pictures, images, and fonts:

On the New Mail menu, click Select Stationery.

Select the stationery you want to apply.

To apply stationery backgrounds only:

Open a new mail.

On the Format menu, click Rich Text (HTML).

On the Format menu, click Apply Stationery.

If the stationery you want does not appear in the list, click More Stationery, and then select the stationery you want to apply.
Old June 29th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Hi Anne-Marie, I did what you said and I still have these red x's in the Control Panel by flash and flash plugin. When I went to the system 32 and found the flash file you sugeted and click on run as administrater it only took me to a upgrade for flash. I have added adobe to trusted site's in internet explorer and it said I had successfully downloaded flash. I still cannot get any stationary picture's in Windows Mail from Cloud Eight and even their own stationary will not come up as a picture. The preview of the stationary does not work either and I followed the instructions from Cloud Eight and checked it many times. I have Windows Mail as my default and the music from the stationary does work. I am trying everything without much success. Maybe there is something else to do? Thankyou,
cecilia11@shaw.ca
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:10 AM

Hi Anne-Marie I did as you suggested and only got a update for flash which I did, I also added Adobe to trusted sites in Internet Explorer downloaded flash and was told it was a success. I still have the red x's in Control Panel by flash and flash plugin. The stationary I was trying to use was from Cloud Eight and I followed their instructions, checked it many times and still no picture although the sound works. The stationary from Windows Mail will not show a preview or download a picture either. I don't know what else to do. Maybe you have another suggestion, and I appreciate your help. Thank you,
cecilia11@shaw.ca
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Cecilia11. Do you have the latest version of Flash Player installed? Visit the page here for a version test. Post back what you see.

I am sorry but I cant help you with Cloud Eight stationery. If you can see the preinstalled Microsoft stationery, it must be a problem with Cloud Eight software. Try emailing their support.
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Hi I just looked at the page and it told me I have flash player 9. 0. 124. 0 which I think is the highest you can get now since the newer ones are on a trial basis and they have no trials availible right now. As to my stationary it is both Cloud Eight that is affected and Windows Mail stationary that came with the computer. Cloud Eight is coming through by audio and the stationary that came with windows mail is not coming through at all. The windows mail(stationary) should come through as it was programed with the computer, but there is nothing. I looked up Microsoft Stationary for Vista and it said it didn't have any yet for Vista. I will keep looking, and maybe the flash I am using is not right but I wouldn't know as I am pretty new to computer's. Thank you,
cecilia11@shaw.ca
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

Click on Start and type cmd in the Start Search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Copy and paste the following command in the Code box after the prompt > and hit Enter.

dir /a "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Stationery" > c:\find.txt & start notepad c:\find.txt

Your drive will be scanned and when finished, Notepad will pop up with some information. Copy and paste it in this thread.
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:57 AM

Hello!

Just something to try regarding your Adobe Flash problem - my partner has a Dell inspiron notebook with Vista home premium and was having problems viewing online flash content and no amount of updating would help. I had to uninstall it using this method: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=tn_14157
then install the current version as per AnnMarie's post and it is as good as new.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Rockpig; June 30th, 2008 at 05:02 AM.