Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:06 AM

No internet when I connect the router

Trying to hook up a router so I can add 2 other computers wirelessly. Server is cox.net. Router is a netgearWGT624. Modem is a telephone modem from cox, don't know the brand, its at friends house. Internet works fine but everytime I move the internet to the router and hook up the router to the modem I have no internet. I have tried two different routers, exactly the same except one is version 3 and one version 4. I've tried 3 different cables in each of the 2 slots. But the same thing happens every time. Have talked to 2 cox techs and 3 netware techs. Computer is a 3 year old emachines and running XP
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:16 AM

I am assuming by telephone modem, that you mean that you have DSL broadband connection. What brand and model of modem do you have?
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
It would help to know the make and model of the modem?

Also, can you check the IP address you get when connected directly to the modem and see if it starts with 192.?

It may be that modem is using the same private subnet as the router does. If that is the case, one of them needs to be changed.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:34 AM

The modem is an Arris 57nbmk39ro56751. Hopefully thats not the serial number but thats what I was told.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:35 AM

How do I check the address the router us using, I know how to find the IP address.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM

Well, assuming you are using DHCP, then try connecting your PS to the router without connecting the router to the modem. Then see what IP address is assigned to your PC.

I believe that default IP for that model router is 192.168.1.1
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM

Sorry if the Cox.net techs had you try this already, but have you tried these steps?
Power down all devices. If you have a Touchstone telephony device, re-seat the battery. Note, powering down the telephony modem will disconnect phone service.
Disconnect all Ethernet cables from personal computers (PC), Touchstone device and routers.
Power up the Touchstone device. If using a Touchstone telephony device, verify that there is a dial tone.
Connect an Ethernet cable between the router's WAN port and the Touchstone device.
Power up the router and wait for initial power up to complete. See the router installation guide for more info.
Connect an Ethernet cable between the router's LAN port and a PC.
Power up the PC.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:49 AM

Thanks. I read somewhere else that this type of modem can't lose its MAC ID without having the battery removed. The cox tech didn't seem to know as much as me, he was no help. I was giving him ideas.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:00 AM

Do you get a 192.* IP address when connected to the modem?

What do you get for an IP address when connected to the router?

If you get a good IP address from the router have you tried cloning your PC's MAC address on the router?
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM

How would I clone the mcs pc address to the router? Thanks
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:03 AM

How would I clone the macs pc address to the router? Thanks
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:44 AM

When you log into the router's admin console there should be an option to clone the MAC address of the machine you are connecting from.
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:48 AM

Problem fixed. A cox tech had me hook the ethernet cable to one of the 5 ports instead of the ethernet port and the modem was able to find the router. Thank you all for your help.

New problem though. Computer I am trying to get on wirelessly keeps connecting and then losing the network over and over. Signal strength is good to excellent. Wireless card is new and installed correctly. Network has been established on main computer and laptop can pick it up just not the other desktop.