Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:25 AM

new malware j

Recently my friends computer started acting up and a couple days ago everything went nuts
The wallpaper changed to a blue screen saying the computer is infected and it has a link on the bottom
Log Manager was disabled by Admin
Also his keyboard only works in safe mode
I tried downloading HJT on to his computer but Internet Explorer wont even alow him to visit computer help websites
(IM CURRENTLY ON MY PERSONAL COMPUTER)
My friend bought mcafee and downloaded it to his computer and when he scans it it finds New Malware J and Spyware-WebHancer
But its unable to remove it
I tried scanning in safe mode but Macfee wont open

i wish i can provide an HJT log or some other information but this is all i can get

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Home
Hello Bmxrider,

Ask your friend to start his system, and start tapping the F8 key to boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" and see if you can point him/her to this thread. Best to see these instructions directly or else some may be lost in the way.

Then download Deckard's System Scanner (dss.exe) to your Desktop. Note: You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges.

Making sure dss.exe is directly on your desktop, go to Start - Run, and copy/paste the following (then press OK):

"%userprofile%\desktop\dss.exe" /config

When the DSS Configuration display opens click the "Check All" button. Next, Under Main Log, uncheck the following:

System Restore
Temp Cleanup
Process Modules

Then under Options, place a check next to the following:

Backup Registry Hives

Don't make any other changes at this time. Then click the "Scan!" button to start the scan.

Once the scan has completed a textbox will appear - copy/paste those contents back here (main.txt). Also a the second text file, extra.txt, will show as minimized in your Task Bar. Maximize/Open this, and copy/paste those contents back here along with the main.txt please. (The logs can also be found in the C:\Deckard\System Scanner folder)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would also like to see another kind of scan, download Silent Runners to your desktop. Run it, and post back here the log it creates. If your AV queries the script, allow it to run. It's not malicious. It will create a file named Startup Programs, and will notify when the scan is complete. Copy the log from the Startup Programs file back here.

Please post back both reports from DSS, along with the Silent Runners report.