Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM

VISTA: Uninstalled Norton and Installed CA Security Suite...System Now SLOW!

I just recently uninstalled my Norton Anti-virus because the free trial was up. Road Runner offers the free CA Security Suite. I walked through the uninstall and install process with a road runner technician. Everything seemed to go smooth. Norton is now not on my machine and CA seems to be running fine. The only thing I'm noticing is that my entire system seems to be running alot slower now. Even at boot-up it takes a lot longer to get to the desktop. Opening windows and processes takes a lot longer too. Something just does not seem right. I have a machine that is running Home Premium Vista (32 bit), has an AMD quad-core 9500 processor with 3GB of RAM. When Norton was running, my mahcine ran smooth and quick. It now does not run nearly as nice with CA installed. Does the installation and unistallation mess with the registry files? What else could be the problem? Is there anything I can try? I'm looking for any and all suggestions to get my machine back up to par.

FYI: I did do a complete scan for Viruses and Spyware. Nothing was found. I then defragged my drive and still the system is running slower than before with Norton installed.

Thanks for your time!

- manooly
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Rampant Rabbit

Hi buddy, how did you uninstall it? If you didn't use this, if not give it a run and see if things improve.
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks for your reply! The Road Runner technician helped me uninstall it. He first had me turn off the Norton Personal Firewall. We then went to Uninstall the Norton through the regular Control Panel method. Everything seemed to go fine. We then installed CA Security Suite after a fresh reboot. Does this method sound ok? I sure hope so!

Do you still recommend me checking out the link you provided and going that way?

BTW: If you do recommend me trying your link, how do I determine what version/type of Norton I had installed? I just bought this new HP machine a couple of months ago.

Thanks again!

- manooly

Last edited by manooly; April 25th, 2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Rampant Rabbit

It's very likely to be a 2008 version. I would try it because norton is a very bulky product, and a normal uninstall probably wouldn't remove all the reg keys etc. That tool knows what to look for and will remove it completely.
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM

I will try it later this evening and then get back to you. Thanks again!

Will the tool work even though I have already uninstalled it?
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by manooly View Post
Will the tool work even though I have already uninstalled it?
Symantec had to come up w/ this 'removal tool' because their standard uninstall function leaves 'let's say' debris behind, i.e. the usual removal is incomplete, and can cause problems w/ other programs, so certainly worth a try - now whether the Norton program will interact w/ your new security suite, I'm not sure; others may need to respond and/or you'll need to check the Symantec site (FAQs, forum, etc.) - good luck!
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM

I ended up using the removal tool. Everything seemed to work fine. My system is still running alot slower. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

- manooly
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Would it be worth turn off the CA services or Startup option on boot-up to see if this is causing the problem? Where do I find my services and Startup programs again on Vista? Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM

I'm having alot of the same issues on a laptop less than a week old and CA is my security program.

I used the removal tool from the Symantec website

First try uninstalling the CA Parental Controls, it's running a program (I think it was mdmcls.exe) from the System32 folder and uses a lot system process and space. The Geek Squad told me it was a virus but when I look at the properties it was install same day and time as my CA Suite and uninstalled with the Parental controls. So not a virus.

That corrected the slow issue for me. Now I am only using the Firewall and the Anti-virus. And at start up I keep getting a message that says the HIPS Firewall Helper Service had to close. So I'm thinking the issue is the CA product. I chatted online with a support tech at CA who suggested updating (which I do daily), and if that doesn't work uninstall and reinstalling the firewall. Will let you know how that turns out.

Regards,

Cleo
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I am having the same problem with CA Security Suite. I am ready to go back to Norton. I guess you get what you pay for.

thanks,
LT
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM

LT,

It's true that you get what you pay for. I used the free trial of the Norton Internet Security Suite that came with my laptop and bought it after the free trial.

Watch BJ's they had a deal when I first bought the software in 2008 and I renewed online with Norton and only paid $49 for my renewal plus with current subscriptions they give you free version upgrades. So my install after the free trial was NIS 2008 and I'm running NIS 2010.

When originally dealing with the issue, CA customer support may as well have been non existent but with Norton the support is amazing, they have chat support available 24/7 and they will even (with your permission) remote in and see what they can do.

Regards,

Cleo
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Wink

Cleo,
Thanks for the reply. I did finally breakdown and purchase Norton. Did pay $69, but that was with 3 licenses for our other machines. I could have gone to BJ's or Sams, but couldn't put up with the slowness any longer. I've had norton for several years but thought I could save some $$ by using the "free" software from Roadrunner. Norton Tech support was incredible. Love the chat and watching the cursor run around the desktop while I sat back and relaxed. I was nervous when they uninstalled the CA software but all went well. Did have a little problem downloading to second machine. The connection (on their end) was lost. Did call back this morning and had it fixed in 10 minutes. I don't think their tech support is in this country, but wherever they were (and I suspect India) they do know their stuff. As for CA - there is no comparison. My machines are now back to their fast speed and I am loving it.

LT