Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:44 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Win98se loads to black screen

Hey all, hope you can help.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX110 (used to be a Win2000 computer, but I replaced it with Win98 for vintage games). All of a sudden it has started failing to load Windows.

I get to the splash screen, which then blinks out and then back again twice (meaning it appears a total of three times in a row, and seems to even lose the connection to the monitor for a second between the second and third times - I don't know if all that stuff means anything, but it happens that way consistently). After that, there is nothing but black. No cursor, no drive noises. But the monitor is on. Pressing ctrl-alt-dlt just once reboots the computer and brings up the safe mode menu. Safe Mode with and without network support loads into Windows just fine, but it fails again on the next reboot. I really don't have enough expertise to know what to try during a step-by-step confirmation boot. I disabled autoexec.bat and config.sys, but it didn't change anything.

I can't find anything wrong with the startup process, nor was there any obvious trigger for this. The only thing I did to the computer before this started happening was attach a KVM switch - which seems innocent enough to me.

I'm sure that's not enough information to get an answer, but if you could at least give me an idea of things to investigate further, that would be wonderful.

Thanks,
-Robin
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
What happens when you disconnect the KVM switch and re-boot ?