Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:44 PM

access denied to my files

Ok so heres my problem....I had to send my laptop to HP to get the logic card and a cable for the monitor changed out. Never sent anything in before so I didnt realize that they wipe your computer clean when you do so I didnt back it up (I know, I know what was I thinking?). However, they didnt wipe it clean completely, my files are still there. When they worked on the computer, they created a new administrator account to work from. After they were done with it, they deleted the wrong one and instead of theirs, they deleted my original password protected account. For some reason, when they did this, the files did not get deleted. When I log on to their administrator account, I can go to file transfer and see my files. Also, I took it in to Geek Squad and they put in their disc, (not sure what its called but it allows them to see all the files on a computer) and could see my files. The problem is, when I try to open them I get an error msg, access is denied. The file names are also blue instead of black like they usually are. I was told that this is because the files are password protected. The Geek Squad guy said that there is a way to go into the registry and take off the password but didnt know how to do it himself. Does anyone know how I can get my files back? I tried googling the problem but couldnt really find much. Any help would be great!! Thanks in advance!
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Did you password protect the files/folders? Can't you use the administrator account HP setup to set yourself up another administrator account using your old password?
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM

The files were password protected because the account they were under was password protected. That account is gone so there is no where for me to type in the password and gain access. If I set up a new administrator account using my old name and password, it will delete the files completely in order to create new, blank ones. I even tried using a program that takes off all the passwords on my computer. It worked as far as on the accounts themselves, but not on the files.