Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Problem with mouse buttons

This weekend I set up a ubuntu box next to my primary xp machine. I am using a KVM switch connected to them both. My mouse, logitech MX310, wouldn't fully work in ubuntu. The extra buttons (back/forward) didn't work. So I found some fixes online. They all suggested changing the xorg.conf file. This worked and these buttons work in linux. However, now they don't work in XP! And neither does the scroll wheel!

I wouldn't have thought that changing this file effected anything in the hardware for the mouse to change the way it worked in XP. Is this possible? Anyone know of a fix that will allow me to use the mouse in both. Thanks!

I changed the mouse section in the xorg.conf file to look something like this.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier "Configured Mouse"
       Driver "mouse"
       Option "CorePointer"
       Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
       Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
       Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
       Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
       Option "Buttons" "7"
       Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
EndSection
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
I don't believe that changing the xorg.conf file in Ubuntu would have any effect in Windows XP. Did you try to update the mouse driver in the XP device manager? If not, try it. That should fix your mouse problem in XP.
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Thanks. I wouldn't have thought so. But the mouse worked fine before so I would think the driver is good.

I wonder if it could be the KVM switch. But even that was there before, just with only the XP machine being run through it.

I'll try the driver again this evening. Thanks.