Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi folks...

My speakers started crackling recently and it seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
Old August 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
open the case and make sure its dust free, make sure the sound card is securely installed, check the cables to the speaker and make sure they are plugged in properly and the wiring is not frayed.
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Thanks Dan,

I used about half a can of "Dust Off" and blew everything out, reseated the sound card, cables, etc and now the crackling is gone. Having said that... I just started noticing this recently and if memory serves me correctly (I only have about 256 MB inside my balding head) I believe the crackling occurs after my computer has been shut down and had time to totally cool off, then turned back on. Then it gradually subsides to no crackling at all after the computer warms up (an hour or so), so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to say the problem is fixed for sure. In any case, it's not crackling now and that's good enough for me. If the crackling reoccurs tomorrow morning and then subsides gradually, what would be your guess? Sound card going bad?

Thanks,
Mark
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Sound card is probably going out. But they are not expensive to replace. About $15-$20 for a basic no frills one.
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you also may want to try the speakers on another computer just to make sure your speakers are not blown.
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks guys,

I will try your suggestions and report back tomorrow morning if the crackling comes back.

Mark
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Just turned my computer on for the day and the left speaker is crackling, but nowhere near as bad as before, and the right speaker isn't crackling at all, so the cleaning did help. I did notice the sound card had a very fine layer of dust all over it that wouldn't come off by blowing on it so I may go back in there and hit it with a camel hair brush or something. If that doesn't get rid of the crackling completely then I'll just order a new one from New Egg. I'd also bet that the crackling will disappear in an hour or so when the computer warms up. I guess it was a combination of dusty card/old card.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Mark
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Crackling has stopped now, about 90 minutes after I turned the computer on... sound card going bad???