Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Mobile Phone Problems

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced, or heard of this happening? I am on a trip to the US and brought my Motorola mobile (cell) phone with me. Virgin mobile who I purchased the phone from provides the unlocking code if you have spent over a certain amount with them.

So I purchased a cheap local SIM from T-mobile and unlocked the phone. Instantly after unlocking the battery refuses to charge. This is rather a coincidence don't you think. I'm not talking about the battery failling or degrading and it's not been used that much anyhow. Simple error message "unable to charge" and it won't. I have to wonder if it's all linked

Mike
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Did you bring your uK sim with you Mike? Does it work with that one. (Sorry - does the CHARGING work with that one)

Another point, I dunno if a UK charger (230v) will auto sense to run at 110v in the US.
Also, do you know if it's a tri-band phone?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks....I think this might be a case of duh...or engage brain. Yes I did try it on the virgin sim too with same result. But... since I'd done this before with another phone I didn't think to check the power tranformer. In my usual rush the night before slinging everything in my bags. Before I'd actually checked the output on my DVM using a 110V suply which I do have in my house. Ouput the same. So didn't cross my mind. Looks like the power pack is 230V only so hopefull this is the problem. Ordered another one here for the total price of $10...i.e a fiver so can't complain.
Cheers
Mike
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
It's normal to do this sort of thing! I took a brand new UK spec pc out of the box the day I returned from a few months in the states, flicked the little red button on the PSU from 240 to 110 out of habit. took me about 20 secs to realise what that funny burning smell was!

To err is human....etc

How long you in the states for?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:17 AM

I wont ask what words came out your mouth. I'm here in LA until mid sept.