Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:16 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Exclamation System restore and useraccounts windows blank!

Hi, I have a problem. Whenever i attempt to open my "user accounts" or system restore from the control panel the window opens up but then all there is is a white window!

Any help would be appreciated. thx
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi miketheshado. Try this, go to Start > Run and type the below commands. Hit Enter after each line.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

You should see a short message stating the command was successful. Now reboot. Do you still have the blank windows problem? If you get an error message after hitting enter, post it here please.
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM

The first two commands went in ok but for the last one this is what pooped up:

Old July 8th, 2007, 04:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

Do you have IE 7? Reboot anyway (if you have not already done so) and tell us if you still have a problem.
Old July 8th, 2007, 06:26 AM

After the reboot it was still the same. So i thought maybe it would be a good idea to try to re-install ie7 since you mentioned it. So after uninstalling and restarting i tried to take a look at my user accounts and it worked! So i suppose i will just leave IE uninstaled since it kinda created a problem, but i have no idea what ie has anything to do with control panel anyways. So then i thought maybe there was something wrong with my prgram access settings, like it did not work before because i denied access to it or something so i went into the start menu and then to "Set Program Access And Defaults". I went to custom and everything looked fine except for firefox was not set as my default browser and something called "Microsoft Virtual Machine" did not have its enable access to this program box checked, so i checked that box and set firefox as my default browser and then clicked OK. But when i went back to check if my settings were changed they were not! They were exactly the same!! I dont know what to do. Thanks for all your help so far, i really appreciate it.
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

To make Firefox your default browser, open Firefox and go to Tools > Options and click on the Main Tab. Look where is says System Defaults and click on Check Now. If Firefox is not set as your default browser, you will get a message asking if you want to make it your default. Click Yes.

Regarding Microsoft Virtual Machine, this hasnt been updated for a long time and you should be using the Sun Java version. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall any versions of Sun Java/JRE (Sun Java Runtime Environment/J2SE Runtime Environment) if present and reboot. When you have done that, go here and download and install the latest version of Sun Java (Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u2). Reboot again and you should be good to go.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Thank you so much for helping me! But when i try to remove some of the things that say java this happens:

And it says some junk about installing when im trying to UNinstall!
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

Can you uninstall the other versions of Sun JRE? If so, do that, reboot and tell me what you are left with.
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:11 PM

ok, i got all of them to uninstall except for the two that are in the picture. But i was able to install the latest update from the link you provided, but i am still having java related problems.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

Just for now, uninstall the latest version of Sun Java and reboot. When you have done this, download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and use it to remove all Sun Java Runtime Environment entries.

Next boot into Safe Mode and navigate to C:\Program Files\Java. Open the Java folder and delete all Sun JRE folders. Reboot and reinstall the latest version again.
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM

Ok, I did all of that and i now only have the updated version installed onto my computer. But I beleieve i am still have java related problems because some programs like Limewire and xfire will take up 100% cpu power when they are running. Should i post a new topic about this? Thank you so much for your help!
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:54 AM
CTH Subscriber

Try uninstalling both programs from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Reboot and reinstall them and reboot again. Did this help?
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM

No it did not. I have even removed the registry entries of them after uninstalling, but it still does that.
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

It may well be a malware issue miketheshado. I see that Tom is still waiting for your reply here.
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:37 AM

Yeah, im sorry i never replied to him.... But i really dont think it could be a malware issue. I have AVG antivirus and spybot S&D and update them regularly, and do full system scans weekly. Do i really have to do the online scans? If so, then i will do them. Would it help if i posted a hijackthis log or silentrunners log?

Edit: I tried running the scans TOM mentioned but my IE would not run since i uninstalled it and IE is required for the scans and i use firefox. So i installed IE it again and this is what keeps popping up when i launch it as well as me not being able to access my user accounts (i expected that last part)

And if you'll notice what it says when i looked into the connections. Kinda strange, and even when i leave it blank and tell ie not to use a proxy it just sits there doing nothing, but if i leave those strange symbols in the proxy setting then i can get to where it says IE could not connect.

Last edited by miketheshado; July 17th, 2007 at 03:47 AM.