Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:19 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Free AVG Anti-Rootkit Program

I was wondering if anyone has tried it and more importantly, what you think of it. I note it was released in April and I wasn't aware of it until today. That root stuff scares the daylights out of me!
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
A tasty quote:

Removing

There is a body of opinion that holds this to be forbiddingly impractical. Even if the nature and composition of a rootkit is known, the time and effort of a system administrator with the necessary skills or experience would be better spent re-installing the operating system from scratch. Since drive imaging software makes the task of restoring a “clean” OS installation almost trivial, there is no good reason to try to dig a rootkit out directly. "I suppose traditional rootkits could be made to be as hard to remove as possible even when found, but I doubt this is much incentive for that, because the typical reaction of an experienced sysadmin on finding a rooted system is to save the data files, then reformat. This is so even if the rootkit is very well known and can be removed 100%."
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried it and more importantly, what you think of it. I note it was released in April and I wasn't aware of it until today. That root stuff scares the daylights out of me!
I honestly don't know a lot about this subject, but I installed the AVG root kit scanner. Ran it once, it found nothing and I uninstalled it. If it had found something, I have no idea what I would have done. Probably would have ended up re-formatting. Sorry my post was pretty much useless, but I really don't know a lot about this.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Thanks, Billy Black. That's the kind of discussion I was hoping for, as I really don't understand rootkits too well.

Thanks to you too, kaveman. Glad it found nothing on your machine.