Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
RJ45 Ethernet Cable - PC Wont Recognise ?!?

Hello, im mike.

2 days ago i bought a 15m RJ45 cable which i tested on my dads pc and on my xbox 360 from a D-Link wireless router (which works great except from the actual wireless)

anyway, when i plugged the cable into my main pc it doesnt even hint to know what i have stuck in. There is no recognisation even though the lights in the ethernet port at the back of my pc are flashing.

I need serious help on what i need for the pc to recognise the wire as i know this is no common problem.

thanks in advance

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM

anyone around, or are people busy?
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:26 PM

This may not be the issue as it is a PC you are trying to get it working on, however, i recently tried to hook up a wireless network camerato ym latop to assign it an ip address. You first of all need to do this by ethernet. The camera or indeed the laptop did not recognise that either end was plugged in. I eventually narrowed it down to the power supply to my camera. It had been purchased from Australia and had a plug specific to that country, so i bought one where you could specify the output voltage, however it didnt have 5v exactly, the camera was powering up, but didnt have enought or had to much power to recognise that a cable was plugged in. So i purchased an official UK 5V ac adapter plugged in in and all was well first time.

My idea may not work, but try replacing the power supply what the device you are connecting your pc to with a new equivalent and maybe it will work.

It is however a long shot, but i tried.
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM

right - just tried that, still no luck
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Hi Mike,

Take a look here and post the information it recommends. That will give us some place to start from.

-z1p