Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM

corrupted shared files&help files

I have done a downloadded scan,I have 19 corrupt help files&177 corrupted shared files,,,,I'm a beginner can I get afree download to repair these poblems?,,,,this xp home addition is not working proper
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
What's the make and model of computer you have? Many newer brand-name computers have a restore partition on the hard drive and if we know what brand you have, we may be able to help you get into that partition.
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM

its an older p3 direct,,,the system restore dosen't work as well as the help&support,,and search,, how can i i find out th year if you need that info,,, also no xp disc sorry

Last edited by John Bruns; February 18th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Look on the C: drive for a folder named I386. If it's there, you can run the winnt.exe inside it to reinstall XP. Reinstalling is probably the most direct route to fixing most, maybe all, of the problems you're having.

If the I386 folder is not present, you will have to have an XP installation disk to do a repair install. If you don't have one, look around online for a place to buy one.

If you choose to do a repair installation, before you start make sure you have the product key for your copy of XP. To get the product key, download and run Keyfinder. You may not need the product key but if you do, the install won't finish until you type it in. So be sure to write the key down and don't lose it! If you buy a new copy of XP, you won't need the product key on the current installation. Just make sure the new disk comes with a product key.