Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:11 PM

Saving programs?

Hi. I'm going to upgrade to Vista soon, but I want to keep all of my existing programs. I'm hoping that all I'd have to do is burn a copy of Program Files before I format the hard drive, but is this all I have to do?
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hey there

if you upgrade you dont need to do anything because it will keep all files and settings

however if you format a drive with a fresh install of vista i suggest you create a DVD or whatever of your applications and media files.

dont just copy 'program files' folder as it wont work, there are neccessary registry keys that the programs need, copy the setup files to each application.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM

I'm going to be upgrading with the free version of Home Premium from HP, so I assume this means that I won't need to format at all. Thanks.
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:56 PM

O/S: MacOS
Nope, it's (apparently) as simple as putting the disk in the drive