Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:36 AM

O/S: Windows Vista
No Sound When Playing Dvd's But Sound Fine With Cd's

When playing a CD, the sound works fine. When I insert a DVD, it plays, but no sound? I have been able to hear DVD's in the past. Any suggestions? Also, my laptop is starting to shut itself down whenever it feels like it!!! I appreciate your time! Brenda
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:01 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I dont mean to sound condesending i'll start from obvious and work my way up. Sound on your laptop is turned up as you can hear CD. Is the DVD media player you are using, is the sound on this turned up also. Most have their own inbuilt sound system. Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio devices.......make sure all these are working also
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
Sound seems OK now...

Hello. The sound seems to be OK now. I am still having trouble with my laptop shutting down whenever it feels like it. Any suggestions? THANKS!
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Im glad your sound is now working. I am now sure about the laptop shutting down.
Possible causes.
Bios settings
Hibernation or shutdown settings set in windows
Overheating, are the fans turning on when they should.
Toshiba laptops are especially frequent of these and the toshiba website is offering a bios setting update. I only know this as I have a toshiba and I have read abit about a lawsuit against them as lots of peoples computers are just shutting down. Their answer run a bios update. Cheap and gets most people thinking its the answer.
Other people have bought extra cooling systems to help cool the computer. On this notion there can also be dust collection on the fan which causes it to slow down and not work effectively. This can be cleaned however does require machine to be pulled apart. Not recommended for a novice but it can also be a solution.

Hope any of that helps.