Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:35 AM

Question Internet not working, when network is fine

Windows Live Messenger has serious issues. It has some weird unfixable bug that causes it to continuously be signing in but never actually sign in. However, its only on this one profile. I go onto any other profile and it works happily. Iv tried reinstalling and all that and it doesnt work. From what I understand, there is no cure to the problem once it starts on that profile.

So I created a new profile - fairly obvious solution really. Windows Live Messenger works quite happily there. However, I have now discovered that my internet works nowhere but on this profile. I can connect through Messenger, I can get on to Myth War (an MMORPG) but Mozilla and IE just sit for ages with a white screen and finally tell me they cant load it. Since this is happening on both my new user and the guest user, Im assuming its a setting I havent fixed but I have no idea what setting it is because I sure as hell dont remember doing it on this profile.

The Windows Firewall isnt blocking them, I checked that and Mozilla wasn't added to the exceptions list so I added it and it still doesnt work.

Anyone know whats causing the problem?

EDIT: Eeeek sorry just noticed this is probably in the wrong board. Silly Morry.

Last edited by Moreta; October 16th, 2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I think you did post in the correct forum since it does seem to be an XP problem, not a problem with just the messenger program.

To try the easiest thing first to see if you can get the browsers to connect, download Winsock XP Fix. Once you've got it downloaded, run it and see if that solves the browser problem.
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:04 PM

Hmmmm.... well thats gotten me half way anyway. IE now works on this new profile, but Mozilla FireFox still cant seem to get on to the internet. I've checked the Windows Firewall again just in case I'd done it wrong, but thats definitely set to allow FF. Im very confused now lol!!
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM

try turning off the windows firewall to rule it out.
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM

That was the first thing I did when it wasn't working, sorry should have mentioned that I did try that. *Tries it again just to on the safe side* Nope, FF still doesn't work.
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Since that fix did some good, chances are your problems are being caused either by malware or by damage left behind when malware was removed.

I'm thinking the gurus in Cyber Safety should take a look at a Hijack This log. If they give your computer a clean bill of health, post back in this thread since there are other things to try...things that will only be a waste of time if malware is present.

If you're not familiar with Hijack This, read this post about how to get and use Hijack This.

Once you have a Hijack This log, don't try to fix anything, just start a new thread in the Cyber Safety forum and paste your Hijack This log in for the experts there to analyze and help you get rid of the malware.

Please do not post your log here. Please post your log in the Cyber Safety forum forum.

Cyber Safety is always busy but they will get to you. Please be patient.