Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
start computer up and has a black screen

I just plunged in a computer and all it does is come up with a black screen?
i don't know much about it sorry.
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Is is a desktop or a laptop?

If it's a desktop, is the monitor turned on? Is the monitor cable attached to the correct port in the back of the computer? Is the monitor plugged into a power outlet?
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM

It is a desktop computer .yes it is plug in and the screen is plug in also .When i turn it on nothing happens. I bought it with the hard drive and ram in it. Could it be the drivers r all going and needs to get them?
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If absolutely nothing happens when you turn it on...no lights come on the front of the computer case, you can't hear any fans turning...it's most likely the power supply unit. The Power supply unit can't be repaired, it will have to be replaced.
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:23 PM

u can hear the fan and the hard drive try to load up and the lights come on .The hard drive i put in is out of another computer. Do i have to download drivers for before it will work?I put a nother vidoe card in and still the same thing.
Old September 30th, 2006, 03:17 AM

O/S: Windows 98
The monitor could be bad. Whatever you do don't open it up to work on it... Capaciters are not fun to get zapped by...

A power supply is a power supply, I am not positive that you wouldn't need drivers but I highly doubt that it is your problem.

Are there any post beeps? If you hear any beeps besides a single short beep *because that's normal* tell us, IE "long beep, short beep" etc... those can lead us to tell us what's wrong with the monitor. There's a whole mess of them.