Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 19th, 2002, 01:36 AM

installed plug and play ethernet card and can't connect!

hello all...i installed an ethernet card on my hp running win 98. i had a connection for a couple of hours then the computer crashed. ( it crashed so hard that none of the reset methods would restart the machine, not even the main power button would turn off the machine). After i hit the switch of my power strip to turn off the power to the entire system, i no longer had a connection to the net. i went back to "frys" and replaced the card (that didn't help), i moved the card to another slot on the board (that did'nt help) i fiddled with the settings... i am lost...can anyone help?
i am a novice but a fast learner and look forward to the help with all of my technical issues.
Old December 19th, 2002, 01:46 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Can you boot up into SAFE MODE?

The card must be conflicting with another device. Time consumning but I would take out your sound card (if you have one), now put the NIC in and booit up. If it works OK then it is conflicting with the sound card. Post back.
Old December 19th, 2002, 02:58 AM

A couple of points:

1. If you're trying to shut off the system with the front panel button, you should hold it down for about 4 seconds. You can change this to Instant Off in some BIOS' and don't forget that the real power switch is usually on the back of the computer on the Power Supply.

2. It would be easier to analyze your situation if you'd give some details of what happens each time you try to start it with the card inserted.

3. Some details on your PnP BIOS settings would be good as well.