Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Computer crashes while playing games.

Hello my name is Victor,

I have a problem with my PC, specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD 64 Athalon 3500+ 2.2GHZ processor.
Mothereboard: Nvidia GeForce 6100-M9.
Graphics Card: GeForce 6800 256MB
Sound Card: AC97' ( onboard sound) updated drivers.
RAM: 1GB (dont know what kind though)
Power Supply: 500 watt dynex.

Well, thats about it everytime that I am playing a game BF2, C and C Generals, FEAR, BF 1942 etc.... My computer crashes and restarts itself about every other dya or so sometimes three to four times a day. It has become very annoying and I have contacted the company that I bought it from ( tigerdirect/ systemax) NUMEROUS times. I have actually sent the comp in for repairs and they replaced the RAM and the CPU and I still have the same problem. They dont know what is going on either but they will not refund my money so I am going to go to outside help. I thought that it was the RAM so I put new RAM in it, not that. Then I htought that it was the graphics card three cards later, same prob. I have updated the drivers to the Graphics card and the sound, same prob. I have scanned for viruses, malware, spyware ,and any other type of "ware" with three different programs each and, same prob. I thought that maybe the PS wasnt enough so I repalced that from a 350 watt to a 500 watt, plenty of power and same prob. I thought that it was a heat issue but I checked the BIOS as soon as that comp crashed and there was only a 2-3 degree difference(from 39 deg to 42 deg). I am actully running out of ideas and before I go spend money on this anymore I want some advice and help on how I could fix this. I paid 1000 dollars for this comp; I dont think that it should do this. It makes me very angry. Any help would be appreciated though, thanks in advance. My email address is iron_face2000@yahoo.com if no one wants to answer here, Thanks again.
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Banned

What you can try is setting the game in compatibility mode for a previous version of Windows. Also try updating your BIOS
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I had a friend who had the same problem as this, he replaced most of his components and it turned out he needed another fan to cool down the system, he found out the problem by using some cpu cooling spray as it kept the comp running, as soon as the spray run out the comp crashed.
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Yep ... it sounds like the Graphics Card is overheating.

Try installag extra cooling fans ..... does the Graphics Card have an on board fan ?
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:59 PM

yeah my graphics card has it own fan for cooling.
Old June 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM

how do you update the BIOS?