Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Question Cannot connect to DSL with new laptop

Hi all. I'm trying to connect my new laptop to my DSL. My DSL is not wireless, I am hardwired into a router. Connections work fine on the other two computers in the house, but not on the new one.

I've disconnected the wireless signal from the computer so that it would stop trying to connect through that (I don't have wireless DSL). When going to network connections, it tells me the local area connection is connected at 100. bps. I've attempted to repair that connection. It tells me DNS can't be refreshed. I've also tried to do this manually after searching some sites to find this problem/solution. Also attempted to figure it out with the head guy @ the ISP.

Could really use some more input & a fix. The only thing I've done to this computer is to remove many of the options it comes with as far as using the internet goes. Such as AOL, because where we are located it's not possible to use them, must go through local ISP.

HELP!!!
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If the router and modem are separate components, plug the problem computer's cable into one of the ports being using by one of the computers that isn't having any trouble connecting.

If that fixes it, either the problem computer was plugged into the port directly next to the one the DSL modem is plugged into (which is disabled as soon as the modem is connected) or the port it was plugged into has gone bad.
Old April 1st, 2006, 12:45 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I have taken the cable that I normally use to hook up to my DSL off my old computer. They are both laptops & I have them side by side right now. I can hook onto the internet on the old one. But when I disconnect it from the old and connect to the new one, I am not able to - which would mean it's something in the computer itself, correct?
Old April 1st, 2006, 02:19 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If the new computer was running when you plugged the cable in, reboot it. That will hopefully establish communication with the router which 98 finds virtually impossible and XP can have trouble with if you try to do a "repair" or "refresh" when Windows is running.

You can also run ipconfig once it's plugged in to see what IP it is (or is not) picking up from the router.