Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:14 PM

Plug 'N' Play

I've had mixed succes in getting answers to my last several problems, but I'm forever optimistic, so here's another one.

I'm running Win98SE, and I have a SoundBlaster card which Windows insists on installing as a PNP device. It's an old card, and I want to install it with its original settings. I can remove it, and re-install it using the SB16 software, but everytime I re-boot Windows insists on installing it with PNP

Is there any way I can prevent Windows from doing this? Can I disable the PNP function?
Tom Brady
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:42 AM

What is the model # of the Sound Blaster card? It should be up in the corner and look like "SBxxxx" (x's = a four digit number).
Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:10 PM

Plug 'N' Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon
What is the model # of the Sound Blaster card? It should be up in the corner and look like "SBxxxx" (x's = a four digit number).
Sorry to be slow in responding. I was out living my life, and I just got back to this ##!@&! computer/ The model number on the Sound Blaster card is CT4170.

HTH with the solution to the problem.
Tom Brady
Old March 4th, 2005, 12:59 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Get into SETUP (BIOS) and disable Plug & Play, then it should not find it.

1st Post Screen, usually hitting the DEL key gets you in.
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf
Get into SETUP (BIOS) and disable Plug & Play, then it should not find it.

1st Post Screen, usually hitting the DEL key gets you in.
No problem getting to the POST screen. However, there is no option which allows me to disable Plug & Play. The closest I can get is to either enable or disable the PNP OS. This doesn't appear to have an effect on anything. Either way, Windows insists on searching for, and installing, the drivers for the sound card.
Tom Brady
Old March 5th, 2005, 01:13 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If that is an old card check if it has a jumper on it to disable Plug & Play???
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf
If that is an old card check if it has a jumper on it to disable Plug & Play???
It is an old card ('97). but there are no jumpers for P & P on it. I have tried to remove the Sound Blaster device found by PNP, and then install the Sound Blaster drivers using the disk that came with the card; this adds lines to the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files. When I boot, those files are executed first. and then when Windows is loading, it finds the card and installs it. Result: no sound produced by a connected tape player; although there is every indication via a sound editor that the signal is reaching the editing software. Remarking out the appropriate lines in the autoexec and config files and re-booting doesn't change things.

I have noticed that there is no section in the System.ini file referring to the SoundBlaster drivers, although the Boot and Drivers sections seem to have the proper files referenced.

Except for refusing to reproduce Line Input sounds everything seems to be working. What have I missed?
Tom Brady