Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 95

Notices

Windows 95 Problem solving for the Windows 95 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 13th, 2001, 07:53 PM

Plug and Play

I have re-installed win 98.

Everything seemed fine until I restarted it for the final time. Now, the computer picks up a PCI VGA Compatible Adapter and a Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI everytime!!!
It says restart to finish installing and then it happens all over again. I can click No for restart and use my machine as usual but I would like to have some idea as to stop this from happening.

Any idea?
Thanks
jb
Old December 16th, 2001, 08:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi, I'm not to familiar with this problem, but heres something to try.

Right click My Computer, choose Properties, then Device manager tab. See if those two are listed in there. If they are then Left click on one of them to Highlight it. Then choose Properties, try to install from there.

If you post this in the Windows 98 forum, you may get more help.
Old December 16th, 2001, 10:53 PM

The easiest way to get throught this is as Dodge said, go into the Device manager and left-click to select one of the cards, but instead of properties, click on remove. Remove both cards this way and then reboot the computer. When the system starts back up, it will select the proper card (hopefully) and guide you through installing it.

Usually you get the problem that you're having when you add drivers for another component. Windows will "look back" at what is already installed and say "wait a minute, this card isn't a generic card, it's a ..."