Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Unhappy reboot issue

Hi there and hope someone can help me

I have a system currently running on Win XP which has been recently formatted ect, it has 512mb of ram which has been tested by memtest and it was fine, it was newly bought 2 weeks ago anyway so should have been. I am running AMD asrock motherboard, I have checked everything in the system, checked ram, rest bios battery ect ect but i seem to get so far when installing or trying to do more than one thing and it constantly reboots. Will give you and example, system was sitting okay and tried to install AOL broadband, it goes through the broadband setup gets as far as the drivers for the modem and ding reboots when it tries to install the drivers, this has occured 8 times. Another one is if i did get on the net and tried to update anything like norton ect it reboots there also. Its not just the net, when trying to install some setups like adobe photoshop it also reboots. Sorry if this post is not explained to well, but as i say i have tried everything and i am at a loss here as to what could be causing it to shut down and restart all the time.

All virus checks ect have all been done and its also a new harddrive as thought that was worth a try also, it didnt actually need one but thought it would do no harm.

I do hope you can help and if you need any more info please let me know, oh yeah also cleaned fans ect so there perfect also

thanks greatly in advance
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:32 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi vmaxchick

You may have done this but just to be sure.

Have you checked all connections and tried a new power supply?

When you installed did you put a partition table on the hard drive, and do a full format?

Were there any error messages during the operating system installation, and did you use an original operating system installation disk?

Any one of these missed will give the type of effects you are seeing.

A faulty motherboard could also be the culprit. BF
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM

how long has the computer been running before it reboots. it might be an overheating issue
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:59 PM

Hi there,
sorry for delayed response, yeah have tried all connections but not purchased a new power supply to do that, i tried the system the other day again and it lasted 30 minutes ha ha this time instead of about 10-15 but as i say it did the usual and rebooted me.
I used Win XP disc, original disc and did proper format as i have another system and format was the same way no probs on that system. I dont know how to find out if its CPU or areas like that really to be honest..............
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:56 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi vmaxchick

Heat could be the problem, try running with the side of the case removed, for a while and see if this improved the situation.

Take care not to allow any children in the room where the computer is located if you are running it with the case open.

The heat could cause problems with the processor, RAM or chips on the Video card. Fans are one solution. BF
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Sadly, tried that same problem, wonder wether i should give up the damn thing, its only a year old........