Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:59 AM

Smile Windows Defender Issues

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and need some help. I have a new HP m8010y Multimedia Center desktop running Vista Home Premium. I have Norton Internet Security and Windows Defender is blocking some files that I don't know if I should allow or not because I don't know what they are or if they are necessary or not. The files are:
1) Iaanotif.exe 2) OsdMaestro 3) KbdStub.exe, and 4) hpsysdrv. Does anyone know what these files are? If I should let Defender permit them? or if I should disallow them?

Also, I have a 750 Gig hard drive (c) and a 7.95Gig drive (D) that only has 900 MB -- what is this second drive for and why is there only 900 mb available on it...I don't think I have saved anything to this drive -- I think it was that size when I got it -- it's been 2 weeks.

All in all I have not had any issues - I think all the security the vista operating system offers is great. Is Norton Internet Security enough protection or should I have something else as well. I don't want to take any chances with this pricey computer :-)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Emeraldeyes
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:24 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Drive D is your recovery drive. You will not have access to it unless you need to recover the system. At least that is how my old multimedia Presario works.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi Emeraldeyes. All those files are fine and you can allow them. The first file is part of a performance software package for computers with Intel chipsets and the others are Hewlett Packard files.

Your D drive is your Recovery Partition and you should not attempt to save files to this location. The Recovery Partition is used by companies such as Hewlett Packard to store a complete copy of the hard disk's factory default contents for easy restoration if something goes wrong.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:29 AM

rwt

Thank you so much for the info! Would you recommend the antivirus software you mentioned as well as Internet Security?

Em
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Hi Emeraldeyes. All those files are fine and you can allow them. The first file is part of a performance software package for computers with Intel chipsets and the others are Hewlett Packard files.

Your D drive is your Recovery Partition and you should not attempt to save files to this location. The Recovery Partition is used by companies such as Hewlett Packard to store a complete copy of the hard disk's factory default contents for easy restoration if something goes wrong.
Anne Marie,

Thanks soooo much for the info - I certainly did not know what to do. What other virus software would you recommend along with Norton Internet Security?

Thanks!!

Em
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

It is not a good idea to have two antivirus programs running. Not only are unnecessary resources consumed but the potential for conflicts is greatly increased.

It wouldnt hurt to install AVG AntiSpyware though. It shouldnt cause any issues. Click on the link in my signature for more information and a download link.