Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Connect to Router but not Internet

Hi Guys - I'd really appreciate any help that you can give.

I've got a Belkin ADSL Modem with a built in wireless G Router (Model No. F5D7632-4)

I can connect to the router ie. when I open I.E. and type 192.168.2.1 it connects me to the router. See photo here.

However I can't access the internet. It doesn't matter whether I try to connect wired or wireless, both give the same result. ie. Connection to the router but NOT the internet.

I've done an "ipconfig /all" and you can see the results HERE

I'd be really grateful if anyone could come up with some possible solutions as I've been trying for over 10 hours now. ! ! ! ! !

Many thanks in advance.
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

To add some further information.

If I wirelessly connect to another (known to be working modem/router) I can access the internet. SO am I right to assume that it MUST be something to do with the configuration of the modem ? ? ?
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Hi Neal,

Your addressing looks good in ipconfig so lets talk about the new modem/router. You said its ADSL right? Ok have you logged into the router and set it up for dsl? In other words make sure the connection type is right and that PPPoE is used. If you have a username and password you will need to enter that also. For some ISP's you will need to use the "Clone MAC address" option to get the router to work. Just find the option and enable it making sure to clone the MAC address of the computer that is connected to the router.
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi bAdWaYz

Thanks for the reply.

I have got the router set to PPoE and have entered the Username and Password. I can't find a "Clone MAC address" ? ? ? ? ?

It did connect to the Internet for about 2 minutes last night and then it lost the connection again ? ? ? (Without me changing any settings)

So I'm going to assume that the router itself is faulty (Does this sound like a reasonable assumption ? ? ? ?).

If so I'll have to take it back and get an exchange.
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

Lets try one or two more things before we call it a bad router. Log into the router and click on Connection Setting tab. At the bottom of that page click on next and you should see another page with login info like username and password for your isp. Near the bottom of that page should be a blank for Idle timeout by default its set to 5 change that to 0. Under that is a setting for MTU change it to 1400 then save and let the router do its thing. See if that helps any. I'm still looking for a pdf on that modem/router to see if there is a clone MAC address option at all. btw what is your ISP knowing that might help a little. The very last resort before just saying its the router and getting a new one would be to flash the firmware to a new updated ver but lets save that for the last straw.
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks -- I'll try all your suggestions.

HERE is a link to a downloadable help guide. (2MB)

Hopefully it'll mean more toyou than me. ! ! ! ! !
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

I did already see that flash guide and its crap lol doesn't really cover much of anything. I'll keep looking to see if that device does offer mac address clone options. I would still like to know what ISP you use and if its a EU ISP.
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

ISP is Utility Warehouse. (See HERE)
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

bAdWaYz - I've just noticed on the "ipconfig /all" screen (link posted in first post) that it states "Lease Expires November 22 1905" ! ! !

Is that correct ? ? ? ? Or is that causing a problem ? ? ?
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi bAdWaYz - I have followed your instructions from post number 5. When I save the settings I can then access the internet ! ! ! ! ! ! !

If I restart the computer then I CAN'T access the internet. As soon as I log on to the router and set the router as per your instructions in post 5, I can access the internet again.

The strange thing is that the router seems to have remembered the settings because I don't have to re-enter the info, it's already entered. All I have to do is click on the "Save Settings" button and the connection to the internet is back and working. The other strange thing is that after clicking on the "Save Settings" button, the signal strength goes from "Excellent" to "Low" even though the router is only literally 2 foot from the computer.

Please let me know if this means anything to you > > > I'm hoping it does ! ! ! !

Last edited by NealM; January 8th, 2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

hmmm ok so you are connecting to the router wirelessly. I never suggest people do a router config via a wireless connection due to stability issues. Can you use cat5 and wire the computer to the modem/router then do the config and save. Then see if the internet works and staying wired for the time being reboot the computer and see what happenes. We may have sorted the basic connectivity issue and now need to work on the wireless end of it, but staying wired will show us if this is so.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

I'm at work at the moment but I will try this when I get in tonight.

Many thanks for your help. Your right it does seem that we (you ! ! ) are getting somewhere with this.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

OK got home and wired computer to router using CAT5 cable and logged on to the router. Clicked on the save button (as I mentioned before I don't need to re-enter the settings the router SEEMS to remember them) but I couldn't then access the internet, which last night I was able to do after click on the "Save Settings" button.

Tried again wirelessly, (because that was working last night) and that's not working either.

Summary
Last night I could connect wirelessly to the internet, but when I turned the computer off and then turned it back on again I had to log on to the router and click on the save button (to re-save the Idle time out and MTU settings) and then I could access the internet.

Tonight I got home switched on the computer logged on to the router clicked the "Save" button and still COULD NOT access the internet.

So without changing anything (compared to last night). I now can't access the internet.

Any thoughts ? ? ? ?
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

MMMMMMMMMMM

I've just run the IE7 internet connectivity troubleshooter (or whatever it's called) which went through various screens and then reported that there might be a problem with my router. It suggested I unplug the router and then plug it in again and try running the troubleshooter again.

I didn't follow any of the suggestions I just logged onto the router clicked on the "Save" button and now I can connect to the Internet again

It's really getting very frustrating because it doesn't make ANY sense.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yeah it can be a pain in the arse sometimes. Just wondering did you ever look in the router to see what the lease time was set to for dhcp server? The lease time in your computer looked very funny. The date being a 1905 or the like. When you look at the time and date on your computer is it set right? What about the time and date in the computers BIOS? Now that you are able to access the internet when you reboot the computer are you still able?