Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old October 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Smile Two things: CTRL+C plain text, and hotkey to insert text?

I've tried dozens of programs. I've websearched for hours. I now come to you on bended knees.

First problem: I want to be able to set a hotkey, that inserts a pre-defined line of text into any text editor. I want to do a bunch of different ones. Say, ALT+SHIFT+D = blahblah420@hotmail.com, and ALT+SHIFT+C = I love you too, honey. I want to be able to do this so I don't have to get carpal tunnel typing in the exact same same word or phrase hundreds of times a week. I couldn't find a program that worked like this, or I couldn't figure out how to make it work (like AutoHotKey... I read the first page of their tutorial three times and each time I needed an aspirin afterwards), because I am not a propeller head and thus incapable of wrapping my mind around any language that isn't the king's English.

Second problem: I want to be able to copy plain text and paste as plain text, but I do not want to CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C or WINDOWS+V. Big no. I just want to CTRL+C, CTRL+V like I've done my entire life. Like I've said, I tried a bunch of them, and the few that let you choose the hotkey, for some unfathomable reason pout and stick their noses in the air when you ask them politely to set it to CTRL+C or CTRL+V.

Thank you and have a great week!
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Hi there.

After looking at the AutoHotKey tutorial, I can see what you mean. Which version did you download? AutoHotKey Basic comes with something called AutoScriptWriter, which will be in the same folder that AutoHotKey installed in. That allows you to record an action (like pasting "blahblah420@hotmail.com") and assign it to a hotkey. There's more information here. The AutoHotKey tutorial doesn't talk about it much because it's quite inefficient - if you want to use it for anything involving your mouse, it records the position of your mouse cursor and your clicking instead of recording what you are actually doing. Let's say you record double-clicking on a file on a desktop to open it. The moment you move the file to another position on the desktop, the recording would no longer work. But I digress. It should work in your case.

Some text editors also allow you to record actions (called macros), but of course they would only work within that particular text editor. It might be something to try.

As for the plain-text copying, I can only guess that Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V is not allowed because it would conflict with the regular copy-paste function of practically everything. I know your intent is to override the regular copy-paste, but the hotkey programs can't control what other programs decide to do with certain keys (as far as I know). I don't imagine that hotkey programs would allow people to assign actions to Alt-F4 (which closes almost any Windows program), for example. The "plan B" that I can come up with is that Microsoft Word 2010 allows you to set its default copy-paste to plain text.

Whew. Hope you got through all that, and hope it helps.

Last edited by wackypanda; October 5th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.