Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Exclamation Firefox is default browser,but IE opens html files saved on hard disk!

I have just made Firefox my default browser. I have saved websites on my hard disk. Since Firefox is my default browser, these html files should open automatically with Internet Explorer. Instead, they automatically open with Internet Explorer instead of Firefox when I double-click them! I also tried saving websites with Firefox - but they save to the computer with an Internet Explorer icon and are opened automatically by IE. I want Firefox to do this job. How do I correct this error? I'm sure it's a file association problem - but don't know how to correct it; for instance, I tried opening links in my Thunderbird e-mail client, and no problem: Firefox opens them instead of IE.
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
In Windows 2000, I can go to Control Panel>Tools>Folder Options>File Types, and then for instance, at HTML, I can choose change if I see that it opens with IE.

I also remember hearing about this utility, Set Browser. You can find out more here
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thanks - problem solved. I did as you said - went to Folder Options and saw that not all the necessary html associations were linked with Firefox after setting Firefox as my default browser. "HTM - Firefox Document" and "HTML - Firefox Document" were still linked with Internet Explorer. IMPORTANT: for the file associations listed below, uncheck the DDE option (under "Advanced") and close the box, otherwise an error window will pop up when trying to open a html file saved to the hard disk. More information can be read here, but it is in German and I couldn't find an English translation:

http://www.firefox-browser.de/wiki/FAQ:DDE-Problem

The following file associations have to be associated with Firefox in order to make Firefox the default browser, and you have to uncheck the DDE option for them:

none - URL:HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol)
none - URL:HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol with Privacy)
none- Firefox URL
HTM - Firefox Document
HTML - Firefox Document

That's it.
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Thanks for posting your fix and further info, Saussure.