Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Outlook 2007 - Must everything go through my Exchange account?

(Full disclosure: I posted this topic in the Applications forum a few months ago and was told to post it here instead.)

Hi everyone. I have Outlook 2007 set up on my PC with all of my email accounts. Most of them are POP/SMTP except for my work account, which is an Exchange account.

I recently noticed that whenever I sent an outgoing email, even though I have Outlook set to use the same account that the email was addressed to, a copy of the sent email gets put into my Exchange's Sent Items folder (as well as my Personal Folders' Sent Items folder).

I checked my work's webmail to see if the IT admins could then see my sent emails and there they were in that Sent Items folder as well.

I guess I don't understand Exchange and how it works. I don't want my IT admins at work to be able to see any of my personal email -- does everything have to go through Exchange?

Thanks!
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
This seems more like an app thing as it should be outlook that is controlling where the sent email is sent, not the exchange server. (though there may be group policies that affect what outllok is allowed to do, but that shouldn't apply to your own PC).

HAve you looked at this article from Microsoft about setting where sent mail will be stored for exchange and pop accounts.

It seems that all your sent emails will be saved in the same folder. Looks like you can either change the primary email to one of your POP accounts or disable saving sent emails for you POP accounts.