Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Blank Buttons, etc problem, possibly triggered by language issues

Hi, some time ago I tried to change my language settings to Chinese, but the laptop couldn't start up as a result due to some error regarding a missing language component. To reverse this, I had rebooted my computer via the restoration point method. My laptop has worked fine ever since then, except for the following problems:

1) at the task bar where the language is supposed to be displayed (eg 'EN'), the button is blank. It is still there, and I can still click on it, but the drop down menu and the button itself is blank, and I cannot see any of the dropdown choices.

2) While installing certain software, usually freeware from download.com or trial games from reflexive arcade, the installation screen is compressed horizontally, resulting in a box that is very narrow, and all the words and options are blanked out. The buttons to select, etc are all there, but the words are missing.

3) The above problems have also affected my Mozilla and Flock browers. anything i type into the address bar, or any other field bar will be blank. whatever im typing is recognised and processed, but I am unable to see what I'm typing. This problem also affects certain sites and blanks out information or messes the layouts.

Is there anything I can do to rectify these issues? Thank you so much for your time!
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:43 AM

hi, anyone? ><
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:57 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Sorry that a reply took a while, that's nearly been a month now >_>

First of all, make sure your language settings are on English. It's possible that during the system restore these settings got slightly messed.

If that fails, load your OS CD and hit the repair option. See how much it can repair.