Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Exclamation computer keeps restarting! need help

Heres the problem i just recently opened up my pc to check my power suply and to clean out my fans. I also looked at my cpu and took it out. after putting it back together i went to try to play a game (cs) and 10 mins in it turns off. i retry several time and each time the same. and before i opened my pc to clean it it worked fine. aslo when i view videos or moives it shuts down as well. it works fine untill i go into somthing like a game or video. any sugestions???
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I'm guessing you removed the Heatsink/Fan. You DID put it back, right? Did you also re-apply the thermal paste?
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:06 PM

okay heres the problem.
first make sure that your fan is all cleaned out.
next make sure that there is no massive amount of dust in fan area's
(if there is way much dust in your fan that could cause over heat and turn off your computer for future safety.)
next make sure you clean with compressed air not vaccum cleaners or anything. (if you did clean it with water make sure that you wait about 5 - 6 hours before you put it back in and run it because if theres tiny amount of water anywhere that could cause short circuit that may break your computer)

have a fun day gaming!
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:35 PM

i think im going to buy a new heat sink and fan becasue when i took out the heat sink and fan i looked at the back of the heat sink and saw the therma stuff not knowing then i thought it was the intel sticker so i peeled it to check then put it back on. lol
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:39 PM

What's the point of a new heatsink and fan if it was working properly?

All you need is a tube of thermal paste, which you will also need to buy if you replace the heatsink and fan. Why not just flush some money down the toilet?
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:01 AM

good point when i buy how do i put it on.
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Make sure you get some good paste, Arctic Silver is probably the best.

Remove the heatsink and clean the surface where the old paste was, also clean the contact point on the CPU where the old paste is.

You should get a spreader with the paste, apply it as thinly as possible, paper thin and as evenly as possible onto the heatsink. When replacing the heatsink push firmly onto CPU, but not too hard, and secure it. That's it, done.
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:19 AM

yeah thats the one i got so im gunna do it now and i c how it goes.
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:59 AM

i used it and it seems to be wokrin good now i went from 75`C to now 40 somthing
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Good news, I wouldn't make a habit of removing the heatsink to clean it though, just take off the fan and use a small brush or compressed air to get between the fins.