Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old January 28th, 2016, 07:06 AM

Can't Uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials

I tried to uninstall microsoft security essentials to no avail.

I already have Avast and Avira. Should I uninstall one of those also? I think combined they are slowing down my computer really hard.
Old January 29th, 2016, 03:56 AM

You should only have one active anti-virus installed at any given time, they will fight each other and cause issues. You can have one active anti-virus and as many on-demand malware apps as you want since the on-demand apps only run when you ask them to (scan this rar file I downloaded). Chances are MSE will not let you uninstall because it's running and it thinks it's protecting you. Try exiting the program from the task bar and then uninstall or try from safe mode.
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
try running the following to uninstall mse

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...a-28ebd45c0838

as previously mentioned, you should only have one anti virus installed at any given time. you will have issues such as what you are having. IMO, I would keep mse and get rid of avast and avira