Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:35 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Windows Update broken

Hello all,
I just noticed that my 'main' computer hasn't updated since September. I've tried manually checking for updates without success, and tried 'Troubleshoot computer problems>Windows Update.' I've checked the logs, but I'm not good enough with them to find any problems reported. I have a couple of laptops running Windows 7 that update without problems.
All I can think of that I may have done to cause this is I disabled the Win 10 upgrade notification a couple of months ago. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I did delete gwx.exe.
Anyone have any ideas on how to repair Windows Update?
System specs: Asus P5Q-E, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB memory, Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1.
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:35 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1. Try the fix it first: Windows Update Troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-8

2. No luck then try this:

Start | Search \ Type Command Prompt

Right click result and Run as Administrator

Type the following then hit enter:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:31 AM

Hi Murf,
I ran the troubleshooter a while ago. It popped up 2 errors it couldn't fix: Service registration is missing or corrupt, and Windows Update error 0x80070490. Tracking down the error # led me to run sfc /scannow. That reset the installed updates to 0 and last check for updates to never (neither true). However, then when I ran 'check for updates' it found 22. I just installed the ones I wanted. I am not at all sure that the problem is fixed. I'll wait a while and see if it finds any December patches on its own.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them if Windows Update still isn't fixed.
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:47 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Had the same problem. It should be fixed. What a pain. After you Installed the updates and reboot it should change the "Never"
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:01 AM

Whatever I did fixed Windows Update on my main computer--I just received notice for the patch Tuesday patches.
Strange occurrence: while I was writing this, my laptop notified me that I have 30 updates to install. (It's been booted into Linux since September, so it has some catching up to do.) When I clicked on 'important updates' it threw error #80248007 and said to close and reopen the Windows Update window. I did, and now it says that Windows is up to date, although the taskbar icon says new updates are available. Most recent check for updates at 3:29 PM today (PST). I'm checking for updates now, but the check is past 10 minutes and counting. I'm so confused...
Old December 10th, 2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Whatever I did fixed Windows Update on my main computer--I just received notice for the patch Tuesday patches.
Strange occurrence: while I was writing this, my laptop notified me that I have 30 updates to install. (It's been booted into Linux since September, so it has some catching up to do.) When I clicked on 'important updates' it threw error #80248007 and said to close and reopen the Windows Update window. I did, and now it says that Windows is up to date, although the taskbar icon says new updates are available. Most recent check for updates at 3:29 PM today (PST). I'm checking for updates now, but the check is past 10 minutes and counting. I'm so confused...
I let the laptop check for updates for ~2.5 hours, then closed the window. I restarted the computer and found 30 updates available. They're downloading now. Apparently whatever routine checks for updates had crashed silently.

"All's well as ends better!" --the Gaffer
Old December 25th, 2015, 04:12 AM

I had an issue with a fresh install of win7 SP1. Searching for updates seemed to last forever. I found an answer somewhere that Win7 installs a sleep mode by default (I think is was 20min) so every time I was coming back I thought I was just taking the monitor off black screen power saver, but I was really coming out of sleep and the updater would start all over. Once I set sleep to "never" it still took a long time since SP1 was years ago, but it would get there after a few hours. I then had issues with that install and the next fresh install I did I had the application Autopatcher ready to get me at least closer to up to date. That was much faster.
Old December 25th, 2015, 06:17 PM

You bring up a good point, Appzalien. I noticed years ago that Win 7 isn't smart enough to stay awake during long downloads. I thought that it was smart enough not to go to sleep during updates, but maybe not.