Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Restore points question

I know the value of making restore points, and I do it often.. But I've never seen this discussed.

Is there any way to save only the restore points to an external disk, or to a data cd or dvd..

I know you can make a backup of the whole disk, or a disk image and I do that too, but what if I just want to save the restore point by its self.. nothing else..

It seems to me that some bright young technician could write a small, simple program to do that without to much hassle.. Possibly it has already been done. It was just a passing thought.....If I were smart enough I would do it myself.. ha!!
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:11 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Interesting Idea, but I don't think it's possible. A restore point is not only files but the windows registry.

System Restore is only backing up key elements of the operating system like the Windows Registry, user profile or Windows File Protection files.

You can copy a restore folder and save it into a different location, however,
two barriers need to be passed for this to happen. The first is the hidden state of the System Volume Information folder, the second the access rights.

I did find THIS
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Very interesting. I'll have to give it a try... Thanks for your reply.