Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:14 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Windows 7 Autochk - moved by Jintan

Hello.

I receive this message upon startup:

"Autochk cannot run due an error caused by a recently installed software package."

Please help.

Thanks.
Old February 4th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hello skittlzski41764,

Enough web info suggests that is something that does occur where no malware seems to be involved. On a Vista system last week a few runs of Chkdsk with the drive "slaved" to a different system corrected the boot loop. Later found that rootkit-like functions that uninstalling Daemon Tolls left behind (and always does) may have initiated the problems. Seems there likely are solutions that require less extra hardware though. Why don't we move this to the CTH Windows 7 forum, where folks very familiar with Windows 7 can provide repair help.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi skittlzski41764. Have you tried running System Restore? To do this, click on Start and type System Restore in the "Search Programs and Files" box. System Restore will appear under Programs on the Start Menu. Click to open and follow the prompts. Choose a date prior to the issue occurring.

If you are unable to run System Restore, try running it from Safe Mode (restart your computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts). If still no luck, boot from your Windows 7 DVD and run System Restore in the Recovery Environment. See here for more help (it's the same procedure for Windows 7)

If this doesnt help, boot from your Windows 7 installation DVD again and open a Command Prompt (cancel Startup Repair if it tries to run). See here here for more help.

After the prompt, type:

chkdsk c: /r

and hit Enter. It will take a while to run but keep an eye on it. It should fix any errors on the volume and allow you to boot into Windows when completed.
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:08 PM

I did the system restore and I do not receive that error anymore. I have been trying to install the software for a web cam while I was receiving that error and are having problems with driver installation. Also when I try to connect a midi keyboard, it does not install the drivers.
Old March 13th, 2011, 01:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

Have you checked that both devices are compatible with Windows 7? See the Windows 7 Compatibility Cente here.

If your hardware is not listed, you will have to go to your manufacturers website to determine if the appropriate drivers are available for Windows 7.
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:48 PM

No. Not listed. The brand is Gigaware. I will try the manufacturer's website to see if the drivers are available.
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ok. If no luck, you will have to contact the manufacturer to see what options they suggest.