Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:41 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Sort files across 4 individual drives

I have a mediasonic probox with 4 hard drives, 2 Tb each. I have drives 1, 2 and 3 full, with about 1/4 of drive 4 full. All HD movies. What I want to do is sort all the movies alphabetically across all drives. (It's a pain searching or specific movies at times.) Is there a program available that can sort these files oout alphabetically instead of moving them individually? The monotony has me worn out transfering them this way.
HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
As with all Windows folders and files, they are automatically sorted alphabetically or numerically depending on the first character of the filename, so I'm not sure what you mean by having them sorted alphabetically as Windows already does that.
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Across 4 drives. 4 SEPARATE drives, as in sort them across ALL drives,
i.e. a-m on drive 1, n-r drive 2, s-v drive 3, ect.....
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Excuse the interruption, please, pip22.

Jakester15,

What is the file extension or extensions of the movies?

How about this instead. Create a tool to find all files with those extensions on all drives which will then output that information to a new file. Then perform the sort on that new file. That would be your master list, similar to an old playlist. Or look for a tool to create a database.

The command prompt can do the search, creating a text file and then sorting that text file alphabetically. I am not sure how long it would take, but it would be a better solution IMO to trying to move files.

With so little space left, where would you put things temporarily while you move? It would take forever. And if you wanted to add Another a, for example, later, there might not be room for it. All files are not the same size and then how would you be sure a-m would fit on one drive? Some letters are more popular than others.... etc. etc. etc.

Instead of physically trying to retro fit, why not just create an organized list?

Last edited by Mosaic1; February 20th, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
just sort the movies alphabetically in each drive, then you can move groups of movies at a time. or

with my limited programing skills You may also be able to create a .bat file and move them that way - for example move e:a*.* f: Just create a line for each drive and each first letter of the movies.
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM

99% are mkv files. They average aprox 4.6 Gb (720p)each, minus the 1080p versions which are around 8.5 Gb. (some REALLY good quality files are almost 20Gb) I have an empty 2Tb drive (just on the shelf) that I can install on my pc direct. The idea of sorting that way seems the fastest! Thanks! Should have thought of that myself! Just open windows explorer and sort alphabetically! (damn I'm dumb sometimes.....)
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:20 AM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Can we assume that none of the drives containing the movies has any other type of file?

Are they in folders or just loose on the drives?

Your system is not installed on any of these drives?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM

Nope. All are MKV's. OS is on a separate drive, 1 storage after that and 4 are in the probox. The one I'm going to use as the buffer drive is in the pc now, and I'm transfering all of them at night. Thank god for esata cables!
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Sorted!