Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:40 PM

downloads

evertime i try to download something from the internet and i go to open it, my computer starts flashing trying to open IE. i cannot stop it except to shut down the computer and re-open. I am frustrated that i cannot download items that i want
Old January 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
More information is needed.

What kind of files are you trying to download?

What are you using to download them...Internet Explorer, Firefox, another browser or something else entirely?
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:47 AM

i do scrapbooking and most of them are scrapbook related, although i do dtr to download other stuff. Things that i was able to download before the geek squad rescued my computer after i let the virus expire. I use internet explorer for everything.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:59 PM

Are these image files (pictures) or text files or pdf files or something else? Every file should have the name followed by a dot followed by a three letter file extension. It is those file extensions that tell Windows what program to use to open the file and it is those file extensions it would be helpful to know.

If you can't see the file extensions, go to Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab and uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types," click OK.

Do you currently have an antivirus program installed? If so, which one?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:06 AM

in have no clue..severaal have bee picture files, so,e lettering files, tried to download an e-book the other day. i have kasperski anti virus. i though out the files when they do that, so don't even know where they are or how to find them. some that i have found are zip files.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:15 PM

It may be that the antivirus software is configured to intercept downloads.

To check on that, open Kaspersky and poke around in its Settings/Preferences/Options (whatever terminology it uses) for settings relating to downloading.

Or, if it hasn't been very long since you got it back from Geek Squad, take it back to them and tell them what the problem is. Be sure to find out first if they're going to charge you to diagnose and/or fix the problem, though.